Monday, June 28, 2010

New Project

My lovely wife has asked for a piece of illumination that she might hang up.  After asking some questions I have a few guidelines to go by.

1. Outside or Garden scene
2. Bright and colorful

After doing some looking through my collection at home and some searches online, I've decided to look more at the 15th century book of hours.  Doing a search of the British Library, I ran across Harley 2884. Source Page

Harley 2884, Book of Hours, is from Netherlands, and was done between 1440 to 1460.

It's dimensions are 125 x 95 mm or about 4.92 x 3.75 in.  It looks like at some point in time the pages were trimmed, a common occurrence during rebinding, and with a post-1600 binding, I'm going to guess it's what happened. This guess comes from reading such books like "Introduction to Manuscript Studies" by Raymond Clemens and Timothy Graham.  So taking the trimming into account and the fact the piece will be framed, I'll be making the painted area a little larger and leaving space around on the edges for matting.

While none of the images are exactly what I wanted, I can take bits of each and add in some other details to achieve my idea.

The over all boarder, and start of the miniature will come from f 113 v Seen here
For the figure in the miniature, I'll use the Mary in f 78 v Seen here I'll be removing Baby Jesus and replacing him with a book.  I also like the image of the castle and hills in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment