Monday, July 11, 2011

Pictures of making a Medieval Brush

The following pictures are of a Minever brush.  I have already cut, cleaned, and have the quill barrel soaking in a glass of water.

I've tied the first tie on this bundle of hairs.  I've done what I could to make the hairs come to a point.

The tuft was dipped in water, to wet it down to make it a bit easier to work with.  I'm making my second tie that will help establish brush length.

I've threaded the tuft through the quill barrel.  Again the tuft was dipped in water.

The handle was carved down to fit the barrel and a small ring was cut to help the barrel grip the handle.

I just finished tying waxed linen string around the ring notch and near the tip to help the quill barrel to dry tight in those locations.

Extra string has been trimmed and now the brush is ready to dry out for a bit so the quill shrinks.

A selection of brushes I've made.  From the left: First three are badger, Hogs hair, and Minever.  Not all my stick carving has turned out very well, but the brush does still work.

Isaac

1 comment: