Monday, July 16, 2012

New(old) Project, Verdigris, & Garlic Juice

I started over on a quote project for a friend that I was asked to start working on last year.  I wasn't happy with how it was turning out at the time, something was off and I couldn't put my finger on it at the time.  Then came my son and he's kept me very busy, but I've gotten back to the quote project.  I was able to put my finger on the problem pretty quickly this time around, it was the proportions, they were way off.  Back to the drawing board and so far this time around it's turning out really well.

The quote  will be the one from the movie Kingdom of Heaven and it's the one about A King may move a man...  The completed size will be 16 x 20 and I'm doing a "2" page layout.  The "first" page is 6 of the 7 virtues, and the "second" page will be at least a large illuminated initial and quote.



Verdigris just past week 9.

Garlic Juice, a mordant for flat gilding.  "It's easy, just go to a health food store, and they should have it." Well after going to 5 different health food stores in the area, it looks everyone's gone to a garlic extract or a mix that's primary not garlic juice and has no stickiness to it.  So I decided to make my own.  I peeled a bulb of garlic and blended it into a paste.  I took the paste and worked it through a strainer to extract the juice.  So now, I have about 5 ml of garlic juice ready for use.


No comments:

Post a Comment