Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Limp Binding

I tried my hand at some book binding after getting in an order of supplies.  I decided to start with limp binding before moving on to using wooden boards.  My first attempt turned out pretty well.

I used 50lb sketch book paper with the original size of 11 x 14.  I cut each sheet in half.

I gathered the sheets into stacks of six and then folded them in half.

I used a bone folder to crease the pages while holding down the sheets using a ruler.

I used a bit of scrap leather to made buttons and spine for the book.
 I placed marks on an index card to make the punching of holes quick and easy.

Each gathering was then stitched to the cover and spine.  The cover is from clothing weight leather that I had laying around.

I added ties that I made on a lucet and some extra stitches along the long stitches to help hold them in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment