Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New Challenges – Asian

I have several friends that are taking classes in one form of martial arts or another right now.  I was approached by a few of my friends about doing scrolls or certificates for their smaller school.  After talking to the primary teachers, this does sound like a neat challenge.

This will be breaking me out of and away from European influences and towards the Asian ones.  I know very little about Asia and it’s art, so I’ll be learning a lot to do this project.  I know there’s a whole tradition and layered meanings behind everything Asian.

 The project will primarily center on creating a set of master certificates.  Right now, I’m looking at two primary certificates, a ‘congrats on attaining the next rank’ and student of the month.  I’m also thinking that special Black belt scrolls/certificate will be in the future.

The first hurdle has been just what terms to use in the web searches to find any digitized copies of Japanese documents.  Its supper easy finding the internet shop selling the Asian brush calligraphy and a bit harder finding sites that have what I’m really looking for.

So this Asian themed project will be providing a nice change of pace and a whole new area of study while I continue on with current projects.

Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment