Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Special Project for Special Thank Yous

The past four years our local group has been using a church to host our Yule event at, and I was asked to create a special piece of illumination and calligraphy to help thank one of the churches individuals for all of their work on our behalf. It's not in the pictures below, but I eventually added our groups leaders first initials on the last line of the second page for them.

Materials include:
Parchment from Pergamena
Iron Gall ink made by Ian the Green
Cut quill pen, lead tin stylus, various medieval pigments

Rough draft of design and calligraphy on modern papers

Ruling out my lines, using a lead tin stylus

I forgot to get a picture of just the calligraphy, at this point, I had started adding other details

Gesso has been applied to the areas I want to add gold leaf to.

Started the leafing, one of the "two pages" finished.

Started laying the base colors

Adding layers to being out details.

Finished

Close up of "page 1"

Close up of "page 2"

No comments:

Post a Comment