Thursday, December 10, 2015

Testing out the new slope

I finally got around to building a period looking writing desk or slope.  A few years back I made a bunch of slopes with folding sides to make them easier to travel with, but I always wanted a nice big slope simular to what you see in the illustrations of monks at work in various manuscripts.

I'm happy with the outcome.  I'm very much a beginner at work working, but I'm really enjoying it.  The slope is made from furniture grade plywood and modern tools were used in it's construction. 

The finished slope, just about ready to use.
I let the stain and finish set for a week or two, to be sure everything was dry and even now, the slope is a little smelly. 

The list of awards I received for our Yule event included one that I haven't finished making a master charter of, so I thought, perfect time to test the new slope, I'll cut a new quill, use the ink I just got from Ian the Green.  The Iron ink started as very gray on the pergamenta paper.  After talking to Ian about this, I'm guessing it's the size on the perg.  The photo below was taken shortly after finishing the calligraphy. The ink did darken to a nice black in the two weeks between the calligraphy and giving it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment