Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Books, Books, Books

I haven't done to much work on my calligraphy or illumination lately. I've been doing more reading.

I went ahead and picked up a cartridge pen made by Manuscript so I can do some practice calligraphy at work during lunch breaks at work. The dip pens were just to much trouble to try and get set up, used, and then cleaned up in the little free bits of free time.

For my birthday, I received some money, so I made an Amazon order for some more books.  I picked up the following: Beowulf: Facsimile of British Museum MS. Cotton Vitellius A xv, with a transliteration (Early English Text Society Original Series), Pen and Parchment: Drawing in the Middle Ages (Metropolitan Museum of Art Publications), The Macclesfield Psalter, Italian Illuminated Manuscripts in the J. Paul Getty Museum (Getty Trust Publications: J. Paul Getty Museum), The Gilded Page: The History and Technique of Manuscript Gilding plus a few other non C&I related books.

The Beowulf book is going to be great for my Beowulf project when I get back to it.

The Macclesfield Psalter is two parts, the first is on the Psalter, studies into it's making, the content it shows, ect and the 2nd part is of the facsimile of the Psalter's pages.  I can't wait to dive into this book.  I think it's going to make a really great source of inspiration.

I've been reading The Gilded Page: The History and Technique of Manuscript Gilding and so far it's really good.  While I've read some of the author's sources like The Materials and Techniques of Medieval Painting, and The Craftsman's Handbook: the Italian "Il Libro dell' Arte" it's been years.  The recipes the author has in the book go from the very period to an easy modern recipe using white glue as it's main ingredient to make gesso.  I'm now thinking I'll have to invest in some gold leaf and other supplies to try out the new knowledge.

Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment