Monday, August 23, 2010

More Charter Designs

I've been working on several different projects little by little right now.  I have two more charter designs that I'm working on finishing up.  This time a Sable Talon and a Compass Rose.

Sable Talon in done in the style of the Grandes Heures of Jean, Deke of Berry.  The Grandes Heures was finished in 1409, and it thought to have been commissioned around 1407.  The book's 126 folios measure 400 x 300 mm.  I've used pieces from the "simple" pages to make the illuminated boarder.  Long necked dragons are very common on these "simple" pages as well as grotesques.  I've used an armored half-man/animal grotesque since the award deals with the field of combat.


The Compass Rose is done in the style of the Macclesfield Psalter. The Macclesfield Psalter was made in East Anglia in the second quarter of the 14th century.  I've used pieces of two different folios for the Compass Rose design.  I started with f. 87r for the general shape of the boarder and I replaced the upper flower in a circle with the Award's registered badge. The other page is f 104v for the larger capital T and some of the design work on boarder. 


The Compass Rose is still just in pencil.  Because of the extra illuminated letters, I had to work on the calligraphy spacing before I could nail down placement on the boarder and line fillers.  I'll be able to clean it up and ink it soon.
Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment